We asked how many people can roll their tongue which we meant was rolling it into a tube. Here are a video of a lady who can not only roll her tongue into a tube, but do all sorts of rolling and twisting of her tongue. I don’t think this is something that you can learn to do, just either you can or you can’t. The tongue is one big muscle that can do some pretty neat things.
Only a certain number of people can roll up the edges of their tongue into a cylinder. This is apparently an inherited autosomal dominant genetic trait. Are you one of the lucky ones?
The results of the poll on tongue rolling are quite surprising, with a very high percentage of respondents having the ability to roll their tongue. Have a look at some interesting comments from voters below.
- I can fold my tongue into a three-leaf clover
- I used to show off about it but I don’t feel so special now I know 81% of the people voting presently can too.
- I can roll my tongue upside down!
- The ability to roll your tongue is from a dominant gene, so I’m in the privileged minority.
- A more interesting quiz may reveal what percentage of people can turn their tongue sideways.
- I can also turn my tongue over
- It’s not just a genetic thing. Tongues can be taught to “roll”. Put a pencil down the middle of your tongue and roll your tongue around it.
- I can’t roll my tongue, but I can make it very pointed and wiggle just the tip.
- I can double roll my tongue backwards with my eyes shut in the dark at night alone.
- My friend can do a double roll? Is this normal?
- When I was in high school, my bio teacher rolled her tongue very tightly. I couldn’t roll my tongue like she did–she could even roll her tongue tightly without the aid of her lips or teeth. Eventually, I learned to roll my tongue, but I can’t do it without the aid of my lips, like she did.
- Tongue rolling is not a simple genetic trait. Also, I can roll my tongue… however my sister cannot. 😉
- I can roll my tongue upside down and inside out as well
- I can also touch the tip of my tongue to the tip of my nose. I can also use it as a picking utensil, if need be. Classy, huh?
- Almost everybody I know can roll there tongue, I think it is more common for people to be able to roll their tongue!
- Freak! toungue rollers are all freaks!
- Me and my sister can both curl our tongues into tubes and make 3-leaf clovers. But I have a certain gene that allows my tongue to also fold into a “w” shape. I can swich between these folds with relative ease. Is this common or am I one in a million?
- Yeah, tongue rolling is a piece of cake. Tongue flipping (front half of tongue upside down) is much tougher, and I only saw part Amerindians able to do it.
- i could flip my tongue upside down put it 3 leaf put it in my throat fold it in half and my tongue goes up to my chin and i could touch my nose with it
- I was just trying to see if my husband or kids could and none of them can….
- since having my tongue peirced i can oly half fold my tongue not fully
- I can fold my tongue in half and also turn it upside down can anyone else do this?
- I can also fold my tongue in half n roll it n flip it sideways lol.
- I can also do the three leaf clover with my tongue.
- I can tuck the very middle of my tongue inside itself making my tongue look split in half. Can anyone else do this? I haven’t met anyone else who can do it yet.