These comments are in reply to the Knuckle Cracking Poll.
What is the long term consequences of cracking your knuckles, and why does it happen?
It is the perennial question – Is it safe to crack your knuckles? Does it cause arthritis? The good news is that cracking your knuckles is not as bad as most people think. The cracking sound is made when bubbles burst in the synovial fluid surrounding the joints. Constant knuckle cracking may cause some damage, such as stretching the ligaments surrounding the joints and decreasing grip strength – but not arthritis!
The things we have yet to learn! Here is what some of you are saying.
- I cannot crack my knuckles. One time, I pulled my finger back a got a small pop, but I usually can’t do it. I was wondering why I can’t crack my knuckles, and why other people can crack them so easily. My friends laugh at me since I can’t do it.
- I always crack my knuckles and I want to stop, but it feels so good how can I?
- I NEED 2 Stop Cracking my fingers! I Have had the problem for 6 years and I am 13 years old! please … Help.
- I constantly crack my knuckles, have been doing since I was a small child … I’m amazed that I can pop my knuckles and within minutes I am doing it again … drives all those around me nuts but its a habit and doing it makes me feel better … I have yet met anyone who can out pop me …
- I have been cracking my knuckles since I was 4 and I am 12 now …I CAN’T STOP!!! Help!!! I can crack all my fingers and my toes and my ankles etc …I can crack two knuckles in each finger and three in each thumb!!! There are only two knuckles in your thumb!!! AARRGGHH!!!
- I have been cracking my knuckles for a while. I also can crack my neck. It all started when I started going to the chiropractor who did the initial cracking. Since then I can easily crack my neck and hands and I have developed a mild case of arthritis at the age of 17.
- I crack everything u can crack: back, neck, knees, ankles, toes, wrists, elbows, and fingers … I’ve looked it up heaps, and I don’t think there actually is any problem of cracking bones … so I’m happy.